I'm Adam Hyland, a PhD student working in Charlotte Lee's lab in the department of Human Centered Design and Engineering at the University of Washington. I am interested in how communities of practice (often but not always engineering communities) coordinate around standards, standards processes, and things which look a bit like standards but aren’t. I care a lot about making the invisible parts of systems all around us easier to understand. Not just so we become better informed (which is cool) but so we are equipped to play, break, and transform those systems (which is way cooler).
I teach Information Visualization, a complex and tool-laden topic like so much in Human-Computer Interaction. My approach--which I feel helps students remain curious in a space like this--is to show that struggling with tools (many of which represent thousands upon thousands of person-hours of work) is not their fault. Really excellent visualization and in many ways, the kinds of personal growth we sometimes call 'learning', can only occur if we productively struggle together.--------------
- 0x5f37642f.com: Approximations as understandings of the logarithm, explanations as mystifications of a fast inverse square root.
- Missing on the net: A small collection of documents which for whatever reason aren't on the web elsewhere.
- Generative AI Glitch Art: Looking for meaning in all the wrong places, for VCU's Workshop on the Workshop--the 14th of March, 2023.
- Grappling with widespread machine image generation: Slides for a talk at Georgia Tech's CS3001 course, July 19 2023.
- Coordinating Arithmetic: A history of how we standardized computer arithmetic.
- Keyes, Oscar K. and Hyland, Adam (2023) "Hands Are Hard: Unlearning How We Talk About Machine Learning in the Arts," Tradition Innovations in Arts, Design, and Media Higher Education, 1(1)
- Perkins, K., Ghosh, S., Vera, J., Aragon, C., & Hyland, A. (2022). The Persistence of Safety Silence: How Flight Deck Microcultures Influence the Efficacy of Crew Resource Management. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 9(3). DOI: https://doi.org/10.15394/ijaaa.2022.1728
Contact: achyland @ UW 'dot' edu